[Appel à communications] The Left Conference : Photography and Film (Lisbonne, 9-10 novembre 2018)
Lieu : Faculty of Belas Artes of the University of Lisbon
Date : 9-10 novembre 2018
Date limite pour l’appel à communications : 21 juin 2018
The aim of the third edition of The Left Conference, Photography and Film is to debate the use of photographs and film from a leftist stance. In particular, to critical examine and explore the relation of documentary practices with political commitment in different historical circumstances throughout the twentieth century and the early twenty first century.
The seminar/conference together will take place at the Faculty of Belas Artes of the University of Lisbon on the 9th and 10th November 2018.
We invite paper submission of no more than 500 words abstract, followed by a short bio (200 words – including name and institution). The proposal can focuses on photography and film related to:
– the creation of documentary as a social and political weapon;
– postcolonial representations and imagery;
– women rights and feminist imagery;
– avant-gardes and ideology claims;
– the role of images in the leftist movements;
– contemporary art practices and social and political criticism;
– gender studies;
– surveillance and the political;
– Alan Sekula legacy and the political commitment with images.
David Bate (University of Westminster, London UK)
Laura Mulvey (Birkbeck College, University of London, UK) – to be confirmed
Conference Venue & Dates
Faculty of Belas Artes of the University of Lisbon
9th and 10th November 2018
Please send your abstracts until 21st June 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants will be notified by early July and the conference program will be published in late September.
More info on the conference: