[Appel à communications] Times and Movements of the Image : International Conference (Caldas da Rainha et Lisbonne, 15-16 novembre 2018)
Times and movements of the Image : International Conference
Lieux : ESAD.CR, Caldas da Rainha / Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, Lisbon
Date : 15-16 novembre 2018
Date limite pour les propositions : 15 juin 2018
Among several artistic projects and critical debates developed in recent years in the fields of art history, art criticism, and film and new media studies, many bring to the fore issues of hybridity, medium specificity and image materiality. Emphasis is placed on questions concerning the ways of experiencing “subliminal images” (R.Durand 1995) in contemporary visual practices. For example:
– In photography the focus shifted from the isolated moment to the productive relationship between stasis and motion (D.Suttton, 2009), including visual arrangements that transform notions of “photographic narrativity” (P.Wollen, 1984; G.Baker, 2008).
– In cinema, chrononormativity and linear montage give place to the interruption of movement, addressed by Bellour as a new category of time that extends Gilles Deleuze’s dynamic taxonomy of images (R.Bellour 1987; 2002).
– New media technologies, such as video and audio-visual installation, considered by some authors as “transformation imagery” (Y.Spielmann, 2008), focus on the transitions between images and the experience of time, encompassing “unintended pleasures” (L.Mulvey 2006) and new forms of creative thinking and spectatorship.
– Performance art is increasingly integrated in cinema, photography and video, leading to the investigation of the practices of the body in relation to anti-diegetic structures and processes of repetition and duration.
– Even the so-called traditional artistic disciplines increasingly incorporate issues of time and movement that interrogate the conventional principles of representation.
We invite scholars, artists and independent researchers interested in the study of the multiple times and movements of the images, probed in their limits and potentialities across different media and disciplines. We are interested in paper presentations and artistic projects that consider the tensions between the still image and the moving image, and/or that seek to examine the problems of durability posed by the new technologies of the image and by performance art, while keeping focus on the many issues this subject raises when confronted with the so-called traditional disciplines of painting, sculpture and drawing. We encourage academic investigations that aim at re-examining the new possibilities of intermediality, contributing to the theoretical reflection and artistic redefinition of what an image is today.
The conference is organised by the Institute of Art History (IHA) and the Institute of Communication (IC) at Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (FCSH/NOVA), in collaboration with the Design and Arts Research Lab (LIDA), Caldas da Rainha School of Arts and Design, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria (IPLeiria-ESAD.CR).
Conference Venue & Dates
The conference will take place at the Caldas da Rainha School of Arts and Design, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria, and at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, on 15 & 16 November 2018, respectively.
Proposals for individual papers of 20 minutes should be sent in MS Word (max. 500 words, including the title and the theme it most adheres to), followed by a short bio (250 words: full name and status). We encourage academic investigations that aim at re-examining the new possibilities of intermediality, contributing to the theoretical reflection and artistic redefinition of what an image is today.
Submit Artistic Projects
Artistic projects may be presented in any medium or explore the crossing of different artistic disciplines, and shall allow interpretations on the conference themes or experiment on subjects remaining relevant to the main topics. Artists should submit a description and draft that will be assessed by a specific scientific committee. We encourage applications by artists holding an advanced academic degree, or in the course of obtaining an advanced academic degree in their field of expertise.
All proposals must be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
by 15 June 2018.
Participants will be notified by the end of June, and the conference program will be published in July. The working languages of the conference are English and Portuguese. After the conference, a second call on this theme will be opened to select articles to be published in Revista de História da Arte – Série W, a peer-reviewed online journal. The selected artistic projects will be exhibited in a show to be held from 15 November to 15 December 2018 (place to be defined).
For any additional queries, please email email@example.com